Wednesday–September 22, 2021
The favorable weather that’s come my way this trek has been such a blessing, really unbelievable! After 215 days I can pretty much count on one hand the really nasty days dealt me. So, this day I’ve no excuse to complain, and I’ll certainly not complain.
Forecast for Mount Washington, for the Whites is not good for the next three days–fog, cold wind, and rain. Really bad conditions to attempt traversing Franconia Ridge, the peaks there just shy of or above 5,000 feet–Mount Garfield, Mount Lafayette and Mount Lincoln. Steady winds on the exposed ridge line are expected to be 35-50mph with gusts reaching 70mph.
Odie and I will take a pass on that. At this point in my hike there’s no reason to risk illness or severe injury. So, there’ll be no hiking today. Rather, we’ll be staying here at Galehead Hut again tonight, likely longer, until this storm clears out. Patience old man, faith and patience…
Adopt the pace of nature.
Her secret is patience.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)