Thursday–March 25, 2021
There’s just no way getting out in this torrent let alone attempting to hike in it this morning. There are two flood watches out (one atop the other) for this entire region of Georgia, and severe thunderstorms are forecast to continue throughout the day and into tonight.
Skeena Creek is crazy flooded, may get up in the pavilion. The owner here is very concerned. I don’t think that’s ever happed all the years she’s lived here.
To top off this (literal washout) day, on my new phone I’ve lost the Docs to Go app (how I write journal entries), and all my Guthook guides. Fortunately, everything I need still exists on my old broken-screen phone. I just have no send or receive capability with it anymore–unless I’ve WiFi access.
What I’ve got to do now is return to a Verizon store (Blue Ridge), in hopes the tech there will be able to transfer data from my old phone and reload it to my new one. I’ve also discovered that I’m no longer able to send or receive email using my primary email account. This is quickly turning into a daytime nightmare!
Looks of it there’ll be a break in the weather starting tomorrow morning. I’ll try and get the twelve miles in then (today’s aborted hike). I’ll be on or near the ridge, looks like, so I shouldn’t have to deal with anything but high-ravine branch crossings, no flooded streams. There’s more rain forecast for Saturday. if so, I’ll likely take another zero day then–and have Barry drive me to the Verizon store in Blue Ridge. Plans (as of now) are to camp here again tomorrow evening. So, I’ll have WiFi for my old phone. What a deal!
I’m really trying to remain upbeat and positive during all this–take my own advice–but this whole ordeal is really wearing on me. Barry is such great support; he’s remained steady. A true blessing he’s here with me–truly a blessing!
Tough times never last, but tough people do.